Monday 28 January 2013

Surfing in January?

Having always been told that the French for snowboarding is snowboarding, it would seem that all the cool kids (and fellow teachers, bemused shop assistants etc.) now use surf.

So for the first weekend of term I went surfing in the Alps. (Kind of.) Being friends with the assistants in the school across the road I managed to invite myself to their Amicale's ski weekend in Les Contamines Montjoie. The Amicale is basically an group in each school which organised social evenings and weekends for the teachers. For skiing this worked out brilliantly, as transport was in the form of car-share and the kind people who drove us wouldn't hear about petrol reimbursement. We got a huge group discount on ski-passes, accommodation and food, so the whole weekend cost under €50.


The weekend's activities included snowboarding, a picturesque sunny/snowy walk, drinking, night-time tobogganing and tonnes of cheese.

The next weekend all of the girls went on my school's equivalent of the same trip, in Les Plans d'Hotonnes. A teacher said they could lend me ski equipment in my size for free, so I decided to ski, for the first time in four years. After a shaky first button lift, it turned out - like everyone said - to be just like riding a bike.

Courtesy of my very talented (and pretty)  friends Andrea and Karolina


Much more fun than my thoroughly intermediate 'red-slope' skiing was teaching my friends some of whom had barely seen snow before, never mind snow-sports. All in all, plenty of laughter, falling over and recovery vin chaud gave us a second successful weekend. The only question is: when next?

No comments:

Post a Comment